You may well be thinking about what we want to achieve for this Year and for many of us, that includes how much weight we want to lose or what size we want to be.
Now I often hear new year’s resolutions being set such as – I want to lose a bit of weight. I’m not going to eat sugar this year, or I don’t want to be overweight anymore.
So what’s wrong with that? Well they are all a bit vague, non specific, with no time period on them, or they are negative, such as- I don’t want to be overweight anymore.
What happens is we start out the year with really good intentions, we really want this year to be the year that we get to our ideal weight, yet with lose vague goals, they are not goals they are just a wish list. When you have a wish list it is all too easy to get taken off our path. When we have goals that are focussed on the negative, our focus is on what we don’t want, not what we want.
If we have not thought about what the goal really means for us we will not be as compelled to stick to it.
To help you with your Weight Loss goals, I have got some questions here to ask you to think deeper about your goal so that it becomes a well formed Goal.
Before we start, it’s advisable that you take some paper and a pen so you can write down your answers. By writing down your answers you get the space to really think and explore the questions and let what ever thoughts come out. After each question you can just press pause while you write down your answer.
- Imagine it’s Dec 2015, What weight would you ideally like to be?
- If you could be that weight now? Would you take it? (Now if you are not saying yes right now, that’s a big clue to ask yourself do you really want this goal?
- Why do you really want this? What will it mean for you to achieve it?
- What do you think you will have to do to get this? Name 5 steps you will need to take? These need to be positive, i.e. go running once a week, not – don’t eat cake. Eat a salad every day.
- What will you have to give up? So this might be , stop eating cake..
- Now I want you to really imagine living as if you have achieved it. So take the time to imagine it’s Dec 15 and you are your ideal weight. Close your eyes and what is it you are seeing, get a detailed image of what your body looks like. What shape is it? How much flatter is your stomach? What about your arms? And your chest? What about the size of your bum and hips?
What will you be hearing ? What positive self talk will you be saying to yourself? What about how you will feel? What feeling are you experiencing ? Where about’s is it in your body?
Now if you took the time to practise this vision for just a few minutes every day, your unconscious gets familiar with it and it will start to happen.
Have fun, hitting your goals:-))